Meet Dr. Jessica Hughes
Director, Licensed Clinical Psychologist (PSY30259)
Hello! I am a licensed clinical psychologist in San Diego, California specializing in couple therapy and individual treatment for anxiety and PTSD in adults. Throughout my career and training, I have worked in a variety of settings and with individuals from a diverse array of backgrounds. What I’ve found to be true, time and again, is that there is no blanket approach—no one-size-fits-all path to getting better. Instead, I truly believe in approaching care in a collaborative way, where treatments and recommendations are based on each person’s specific needs in a supportive environment.
That’s why I take the time to get to know each individual and couple that reaches out to me. From there, I can build an evidence-based treatment program that’s centered around who you are and help you find the path that’s right for you in your life. I take an integrative approach to care, helping you build insight into yourself and your past, as well as helping you understand yourself better. We will also work together to help you learn new tools for success, whether it be facing fears, or working on problematic patterns in relationships. I have a warm and compassionate treatment approach. I’ll be honest and transparent with you about treatment and the therapeutic process. I will use the most effective treatments to help you recover.
As a native Spanish speaker who immigrated to the United States, I’m strongly committed to providing Spanish language therapy to the greater San Diego community and have a strong commitment and passion for working with diverse populations. Throughout my career, I have worked to educate myself about the best ways to serve my clients, including ways to meet the needs of LGBTQ+ clients, racial and ethnic minorities, and individuals with disabilities. All are welcome in my practice.
I hope that I can be helpful to you on your journey to improve your life and to find deeper meaning and connection. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Degrees & Notable Experience
- Ph.D. and M.A in Clinical Psychology – University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- Postgraduate Research & Clinical Experience – Brown University
- B.A. in Psychology and Spanish – University of Miami
- Assistant Clinical Professor at University of California, San Diego
- Externship in Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy – San Diego Center for EFT
- Postdoctoral Fellowship – VA San Diego Healthcare System/University of California, San Diego
- Predoctoral Internship – Philadelphia Veterans Affairs Medical Center
Conditions I Treat
I specialize in treating the following conditions using the following treatments:
- Relationship difficulties
- Stress management
- Trauma & post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Latino/a mental health
- Life transitions
- Low self-esteem
- Divorce or painful breakup
- Grief & loss
- Sense of aimlessness or lack of direction
- Integrative Behavioral Couple Therapy (IBCT)
- Emotion Focused Couple Therapy (EFCT)
- Cognitive Behavioral Conjoint Therapy for PTSD (CBCT)
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT)
- Prolonged Exposure Therapy
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- Insight Oriented Therapy
Proud member of:
Now accepting new patients!
Book a free introductory consultation today. I’ll be happy to answer any questions you have and determine if it’s a good fit. To ensure patient safety and adhere to public health protocols, all appointments are currently conducted via secure video chat. We look forward to welcoming you back in person as soon as it is safe to do so.